Saturday, April 25, 2009

Music in the park and houses in the Cape

Exciting times ahead in my life! I've been invited, in the band I play in, to play in a Mayday Concert in Marlay Park. We did it last year and it was exciting, fun and a fantastic learning experience. There will be over 100 musicians, ranging in age from 70's down to about 12 years of age. Some are very experienced, others just took up their instruments a year ago, and some, like myself, in-between.
This will involve many hours of rehearsals, which is kind of difficult at this time of year with exams looming in school, but I'll find the time, and something else will have to go on the back burner. This is too good an opportunity to miss. Last year, I will never forget the feeling of playing alongside seasoned musicians, including my teacher! I probably learned more in those few weeks than I normally would in a year, so I'm not about to miss this.
The concert will be on Sunday 10th May, at 3.30, in the open air if weather permits. If anyone is reading this and owns a Child of Prague statue (if you own it, you'll know what I'm talking about), please put it outside. If the weather doesn't hold up, the concert will be in a church nearby, but it would be so much better to play outdoors, preferably in sunshine, tho I'll settle for absence of rain.

The other exciting event is that my brother is going to South Africa in September to build homes for Habitat for Humanity. I promised to help with his fundraising, and after racking my brains, here's what I came up with. I'm making 50 jars of hand cream, which I'll sell for €10 each. I'm paying the costs, so all the €10 will go to the Habitat project. People who buy get a lovely cream, either for themselves or as a "gift that gives more". I've researched a bit on the oils I'm putting in, and come up with some that are common to both Ireland and South Africa.

I've called the cream "Dóchas", which is Irish for hope. Let's hope that the cream sells well, and that the project brings hope to those who have so little.

No comments:

Post a Comment