Sunday, June 14, 2009

No sign

There has been no sign of Crash all day. The garden feels like a mortuary .

The worst bit is not knowing where he is or what has happened to him. If he has passed on to rabbitheaven, we'd like to think that it was quick, painless and peaceful. We wouldn't like to think of him suffering or of being in pain or frightened.

As I said, there are urban foxes around where we live, although we haven't seen one out the back for years. I've always thought that if a fox or cat were to get Crash, there would be fluff around the garden, or some sign of his demise. There's nothing.

I wish I knew somebody who was expert in the behaviour of sick bunnies. If they're feeling poorly, do they want to crawl in a hole (of their own digging) and pass away peacefully, or would they gravitate towards their human "owners". We've looked behind the lavender bush where the entrance to his burrow is, no sign of anything. We're afraid to go rooting around too much. I now dread that there will start to be a decomposing smell soon, and I'll never feel the same again about my poor lavender bush.

I suggested to the girls tonight that we'd go to the lavender bush and say a few words of farewell to him, no harm done if he returns. However, they're not yet ready for that.

Anybody got any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment