Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans' Day, Freedom isn't Free


Thought I'd share this picture today, taken at Arromanches when we were there in June.

I kept thinking "But for their sacrifice, we would not have the freedom to walk on this beach, to make sandcastles with our children, to savour this beautiful, blue sky".

Many of those were Irish, even though our official position was "neutral"; these men had joined the British Army, and helped in the fight for freedom.
I thank them for the ultimate sacrifice- they gave their lives for us.

11 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures. And yay for the Irish! My grandparents were from Ireland. Great post and thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for all of our Veterans and all allies. Your beach is lovely. I dream of visiting Ireland. I think I get it from Heathcliff and Cathy in WUthering Heights.

    Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I second your sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen.
    I love the light in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are beautiful images and words. Very poignant and touching post...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely images to go with your moving post. We should never forgot the sacrifices made....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful country you live in.
    We were very lucky indeed that we have our freedom to do and say what we like and to live!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that reminder: Freedom isn't free! The beach is my favorite place and your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freedom--such contradiction in a simple word. Free it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos and beautiful words. Thanks, Mimi!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete