Sometimes, late at night, an idea for a blog post comes into my head. I should write them down, because by morning I've forgotten them.
But one that has come several times is to write about my hubby. I call him that here, cos he'd be mortified to be identified on my blog.
But I want to write about him, and how wonderful he is. If I had to identify one thing that singles him out for me it's respect. He absolutely, wholeheartedly, totally and unequivocally respects me. And that matters. He has never once treated me in a way that was even the slightest bit disrespectful. And I'm not talking about holding doors open here, though he does that too, and stands back to let me whizz past. I'm talking about the deep seated respect, that he values me for who I am, who I've been and who I'm trying to be, that he supports my efforts and my endeavours. And there are many of those, cos I'm a constantly changing, seeking, trying kind of person.
Here are 10 things I love about him:
1. Sometimes I tell him how lucky I am to have him, and his reply is always the same "I'm the lucky one".
2. He is the kindest and most thoughtful person I've ever known. And I've known some very kind and thoughtful people.
3. He lets people out in front of him on the road. If I'm in a hurry, it drives me mad that he does it, but I still love him for it.
4. He holds doors open for me. I know that's old fashioned and not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.
5. He doesn't use foul language. Ever. Even if I do (which is seldom, but occasionally when I'm really angry, I do).
6. There is nothing he would not do in the best interests of our kids. No matter how much bother, no matter what the cost, no matter even if they hated him for it.
7. He has always done his share (or more) with our kids. He has done night shifts with them probably more than I have. He used to cycle out at lunch time to pick our daughter up from school and bring her to childcare when I worked full time. The staff in the creche would have picked her up, she knew them very well, but he wanted her to have her Dad pick her up.
8. He always sees a side to something that others don't.
9. He defends the underdog, even when it's unpopular.
10. He is scrupulously honest.
11. He can be relied on to stay calm, even when I'm in a total flap.
I cannot imagine a life without him, and I hate to think of one of us being without the other,even though I know that eventually that will happen.
He is my soul-mate, my rock, my treasure. I love him to bits.
We had known each other as friends in university, did the same course, but then didn't keep in touch. It was a lucky Monday evening when I met up again with him as I waited to collect my take-away pizza!
Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day.