Sunday, June 13, 2010

Paul, you ROCK!

Went to Paul Mc Cartney in the RDS, Dublin, tonight.


It was the best concert I've ever been at. The man is incredible. To compose music that people still love 40 years on is one thing, but to also be able to perform it, well into your sixties, is just amazing. He performed 35 songs, over roughly 3 hours.
.

Photo courtesy of Hubbie- the percussionist was amazing too!



I've heard some singers who I loved say, 20 years ago, and as they got older, they lost that edge in their voice, and sounded, well, sad. Not so with Paul- he sounded just as good as any of the cd's that i have. And he looked amazing too. He seemed to be really enjoying himself up on that stage, singing his heart out. At times, his face had that "little boy lost" look, and I'm not joking you, he could have been in his twenties. At other times, ok, you could see lots of wrinkles and floppy skin, but I don't care, he sounded so brilliant.



Two young (i.e. late teens) Spanish girls beside me sang along to every song, knew all the words. When he sang "The Long and Winding Road", they were in tears.

I, too, sang along to lots of the songs, and also danced! Paul took command of the entire crowd, wooing us like the master that he is, and we just couldn't get enough of it!




Now I know why Beatlemania took hold!
The Telegraph says it exactly as I'd like to "Armed only with his four-piece band and the greatest collection of pop hits in history, he travelled back and forth across the decades like the Dr Who of rock and roll. Whatever elixir the 67-year-old Macca is running on remains a mystery, but he seems to get a huge charge from performing to an audience, especially one that is bombarding him with waves of adoration".





And if he comes back to Dublin? Just tell me where to book.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous night. Let me know when he comes again...I'll gladly put up with the long flight to Dublin.
    I was part of the Beatlemania girls and remember how most adored Paul. My fave was always George...maybe I was just trying to be different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, you might not have to come this far! He's in Toronto and Montreal in August. But, of course, we'd love to see you in Dublin again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a great evening. Tom Jones was recently in Muscat and I went along for the fun of it but came away thinking the same things that you did about Paul... These old fellas still have it!

    ReplyDelete