Thursday, July 12, 2012

What a Weekend! And a nugget of wisdom!

 We were in Clonakilty, Cork, for the South of Ireland Band Championships.

What a lot of fun!  (I'm 3rd Horn from the right, again!)
 Each of the bands plays in the school hall, at the competition, but also on the street! That was so much fun! I don't know why there's a monkey on top of the phone box!

 I'm discovering how different venues/acoustics affect the sound. On the street, I couldn't hear any of the other instruments, which made it really difficult to know if I was with the others or not.

We won 1st place in the Senior Competition, and part of winning is a Victory Train Ride through the town!

  The Lord Mayor comes on the train with the winners!

It was hilarious! If there's one thing guaranteed to get adults to instantly become children, it's a mini-train! We piled in and started singing, clapping, cheering!

Then, in the pub, they filled our cup with a cocktail of booze.

 It was passed around for everyone to have a taste.

During the night's celebrations, I was constantly surprised at the taking of photos (for Facebook). A night out has totally changed since I used to do this regularly- it's all about recording it!

And within minutes it's on Facebook!
 Would need to either not care or take extreme care to behave well!

(pictures 1 and 3 are from  Richard Tyndall Photography)

I was browsing through documents tonight and came across "Things to Give Up".

Give up thinking you’re not ready.Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

I'm so glad that I sometimes listen to my own (or the internet's!) advice, and that I went ahead and joined the Band. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made with my life.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun event - LOVE the idea of a winning train ride followed by a session at the pub! Well done you, on so many counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun--love the photos! Isn't it great when you know that for once, you've made the right decision? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the WIN!!! How Exciting - AND FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all your work - learning and rehearsing - you not only deserve the big win but also the huge fun! That train is too cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the FB fear would come in if you'd made one too many trips to that cup!

    I will always look for you third horn from the right. Looks like great fun was had by all.

    ReplyDelete